Re: wanting to start a co-op/co-housing
From: Dave and Diane (daveanddeeverizon.net)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 19:41:03 -0800 (PST)
Hi Becky,
What you need to do first of all is:

1) Announce to the list who you are, where you are located and what kind of cohousing you are interested in forming (how big, how small, urban, rural, lot-development, retrofit, capital project, etc.) 2) If you are trying to do this on your own without building any new buildings you are looking at a fairly small housing complex--I would guess under 10 units 3) Co-ops and cohousing are not necessarily the same thing--I would suggest that you read up on the differences before trying to recruit members 4) Lay out the timeframe in which you hope to accomplish this (have everyone moved in)
5) Spell out the financial commitments
6) Explain the process for becoming a member

If what I have said sounds like a lot of goobledygook, then I would suggest you attend the upcoming cohousing conference and obtain some more information on getting started. See
http://www.cohousing.org/
for more info.

Good luck!

--Diane(:^]