Re: Re: Aging In Place In Cohousing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 08:28:40 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 7, 2006, at 10:13 AM, Alexander Robin A wrote:

I, too, prefer an intergenerational mix. I suppose to serve as a place where elders can live at home as long as possible, providing reasonable care for them would have to be an explicitly stated part of the community's mission.

As I read this I thought it was a really strange development since the older people in my community are so involved with the kids that this would not happen. Then I realized I was thinking of myself as an example.

I would suggest that aging in place would benefit from integrating the kids as helpers. Running errands outside the home, getting the mail, walking the dog, etc. are all things that can cause difficulty for the less mobile but are real ego boosters to the under 12 set.

I now save my mail for the 4 year olds who are in and out. Going to the commonhouse alone to mail an envelope is just too awesome. I would never deprive a child of this adventure.

But really, aging in place is developing into the same issue as "accessibility." At one point or another ALL of us need help. At the end of life or during any serious illness whether it comes at age 3, 16, 30, 40, 59, or 80, our lives become difficult and we need help. This is a "total community," issue. Not just one of aging in place.

Sharon
---
Sharon Villines
Building Community: A Guide to Creating New Neighborhoods
http://www.buildingcommunity.info