Re: lighting for Common House
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 11:10:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 7, 2006, at 1:54 PM, Karen Scheer wrote:

Hello,
As we research lighting choices for our common house, which will have a vaulted ceiling, our building committee has asked for feedback from this list.

What kinds of lighting solutions do you use in vaulted ceiling common houses? What you like or dislike about them?

We have lights that hang 2-3 feet below a two storey ceiling. I think I can safely say we hate them. They are impossible to clean (we have to rent or buy scaffolding) and are much too bright. We generally turn on half of them at one time and it is still too bright for intimate dinners, etc. They have some sort of energy efficient mechanism that means we can't dim them.

We have 3(?) sconces that give much nicer lighting and a few more would be good but the cost of putting them has not made it to a priority list.

The bright lights (with some way to clean them and replace bulbs) are nice to have but combined with sconces would be much better.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC