Re: Re: lighting for Common House
From: James Kacki (jimkackimts.net)
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 16:53:42 -0700 (PDT)

A combination of lighting types is often best in an area that is multi-functional. Incandescent lights shining down the walls or over small intimate seating areas creates a comfortable atmosphere. However for the vaulted ceiling area I would suggest up-lights that shine on the ceiling and are reflected evenly back down for a pleasant general lighting scenario. The lights can be positioned around the edge of the ceiling, hidden by a valence so that you only see the lit ceiling. Or they could be one or more central suspended fixtures that shine up onto the ceiling. Some of these have a transluscent underside so that some light and colour shines down also. To mirror the vault, I have seen some nice fixtures that are circular in plan and convex (bowl-like) in section with a coloured glass bowl body. If you're starting with a vaulted ceiling you are half-way there. Choose lighting that accentuates the shape and beauty of the ceiling.
best of luck -
James