Re: Songaia Cohousing hits the news again...
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 06:47:53 -0700 (PDT)
Craig Ragland wrote:

> Article title: Residents revive promise of communes; they share lives
> and resources for social good
> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/266035_communal08.html

Hi Craig,

Thanks for point out the article in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer , the
"P-I" -- 'oldest morning newspaper in WA' apparently has a circulation of
'hundreds of thousands'.

I encourage people to think of cohousing to be part of the
intentional community spectrum tho I think it is is reasonable to
make distinctions between types of community in the degree of
collectivity.  I think the article does a fair job of that.

One part of the article does seem open to (I suspect) misinterpretation:

>From the article:
> Songaia ... residents pay a monthly fee to cover the cost of shared
> meals and food from a communal pantry

At Songai does each household have a "flat" fee for meals and food or is
it proportional to number of meals eaten as in most communities?  How many
common meals per week do you have?

Fred

Communications for Justice - My new listserv org.       UU, Linux
My Link Page: http://fholson.cohousing.org       Ham radio:WB0YQM
fholson at cohousing.org   612-588-9532   (7am-10pm Central time)