Re: Kids Vs Elders: Aging In Place
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 09:33:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 9, 2006, at 12:13 PM, Rob Sandelin wrote:

There is a difference in tolerance to noise. Parents are more used to loud, energetic kids, its what they live with 24/7 and so to them, the kid energy is just normal ambient background. To non-parents, its much different. And
of course, there are differences between parents.

Parents also have a different reference point.

One of our parents who 7 months ago adopted a VERY HIGH energy almost 3 year old with a very high pitched voice said,

"Before I had a kid I couldn't understand why parents didn't control their kids during dinner. Now all I think about is how glad I am to have a minute to myself to talk to other adults. I'm too tired to run around and keep her quiet. The noise is easier than the alternative."

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC