Re: Re: Songaia Cohousing hits the news again...
From: Craig Ragland (craigraglandgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 09:57:36 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Fred,  I described Songaia's food program in depth in this Cohousing-L
posting:

http://lists.cohousing.org/pipermail/cohousing-l/msg23156.html

To directly answer your question:

Yes, Songaia has a fixed, flat fee for participation in the food program
which covers all-you-can-eat from both our 5 common meals and our 100+ item
common pantry. Each member chooses whether or not to attend any given common
house meal and whether or not to use food from the common pantry in any
given meal they prepare on their own.

I have not encountered other cohousing communities with a program quite like
ours, the common pantry which members can "freely" draw from for use in your
home appears unique... our program is similar to the way that some smaller
meal-sharing households operate, with lots of "common food" and some
privately purchased food. At Songaia, some families eat very inexpensively,
purchasing little "private" food, while others eat out a lot and buy a lot
of specialty foods.