Re: Rules & Regs Violation
From: Dahako (Dahakoaol.com)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 04:34:50 -0700 (PDT)
Hi-

I agree with Ann Z (Hi Ann) and I also think there is another lesson here
for forming communities -- design your neighborhood to offer access  to
technology choices.

Fortunately, at Eastern Village our tech folk pointed out early on that if
we did not change our plans to add an additional Cat 5e (I think) cable
throughout the building and plan for one more conduit from the roof to a
mechanical
room, we would be beholden to our local cable monopoly for the  foreseeable
future.  The techies put together a detailed proposal showing  how much the
extra cabling would cost, the difference in cost between satellite  and cable,
and threw in the possibility of putting an antenna on the roof.   I think this
wiring also carries our internet service throughout the  building, so every
unit has internet access as part of the condo fees. Even  though some of us
don't
even own TVs or computers, the proposal got consensus  pretty easily, with
the result that we have the physical infrastructure for  choice, even if we
haven't fully implemented it yet. (And therein lies another  story, of course!)

Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, Maryland
"Where we've got the workshop up and running and we're about to install the
playlot on the green roof!!"