Re: Re: Rules & Regs Violation
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 06:06:41 -0700 (PDT)
What size is your community? How many adults?

I'm wondering about sustainability. How large can a community be and still sustain a fairly loose governance structure? Writing down the rules without an automatic consequence of violation is what I'm referring to as "loose." Although in many communities even if a rule and its consequences are spelled out, people are loath to enforce them.

I find that with close to 60 adults, it is very hard to keep everyone informed. Even people who were listening in the beginning (this person wrote the rules!) stop listening at a certain point.

For the first time this spring, for example, someone turned on our fountain without first cleaning the winter dirt out of the basin. Now all that dirt has washed inside and the person in charge of the fountain has the job of cleaning it all out before it damages the pump. Not a job she expected to be doing today.

In a conventional condo this size, the controls would have been locked with only one person or a very small number would have had access. If they weren't around the fountain would not have been turned on.

In cohousing, people bristle at that kind of control and we end up chasing our tails all the time.

(As you might have guessed, we a facilities team meeting last night.)

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC