Re: integration of new members & their kids
From: Robert (robertenocommons.org)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 12:21:11 -0700 (PDT)
Kim,

Here at Eno Commons, we have a welcoming dinner for our new residents (and
sometimes it is also the farewell dinner for our neighbors who are leaving)
within a week after move-in.  About this time, I add the new residents to the
phone list and listserv.  I also give them the userid/password to access the
For Neighbors section of our web site.

I print out the ENOcyclopedia, which sounds similar to Rob Sandelin's notebook,
and give it to our residents in a personalized binder.

Hopefully, soon after the welcoming dinner, we have an orientation meeting,
open to the community and child care provided, where we go over the
ENOcyclopedia and field questions.

I have not done anything special for the new kids but have not seen the new
kids being ostracized.  The EC kids are open to having new playmates.  We have
24 kids onsite (40% of the population) so the new kids do find someone to play
with.

-Robert
 Eno Commons Cohousing
 Durham, NC