Rural cohousing opportunity
From: cpie55 [at] earthlink.net (cpie55earthlink.net)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 08:40:06 -0700 (PDT)
We have identified a site for a rural cohousing community with a farm near
Grass Valley. We need to sort out whether  there is enough interest and
financial resources to seriously pursue this site.

Site Description

198 acres in the Sierra foothills
Rolling farm land, suitable for grazing, orchards and vineyards, and a
small, wooded mountain.
Currently zoned to allow up to 44 homes.
Elevation is 1600-1900 feet --  above the fog and, usually, below the snow.
One well and an irrigation ditch currently serve the site.
Several ponds, one spring-fed.
Mountain was previously mined for copper underground. Entrance to mine is
off property. Soil tests have been done.
One mile from Penn Valley, which hosts a small shopping center, some
businesses and office space
Approximately a 1.5 miles from Western Gateway Park, an 80 acre park
offering an equestrian arena, Little League fields, Frisbee golf course,
bandstand, tennis courts and a creek for swimming.
Larger town of Grass Valley is 15 minutes away, including the Briarpatch
natural foods Coop.
Nevada City is 20 minutes away. City of Auburn is 35 minutes away.
Sacramento is 1 hour and 15 minutes away

Project Vision

 We envision an ecovillage on the site, with a total 44 homes, clustered
into two or three cohousing communities, with both attached, townhome style
homes and undeveloped lots for people who want to build their own homes.
Clustering and common facilities will create an active social life, and
allow the majority of the land to be preserved for organic agriculture or
left wild.  We would incorporate solar and other environmentally
sustainable features.  For more on the vision, please visit our website at
www.nevadacountyruralcohousing.org.

Land Price and Terms

The asking price is $3.2 million.  This is a typical price for land in this
area, where zoning allows land to be divided into 3-5 acre ranchettes.  The
sellers appear to be motivated, and so we feel that if we are serious about
pursuing this, we will need to move fairly quickly.

Development Partner

We have been in communication with CoHousing Partners, LLC, a collaboration
in California between Wonderland Hill Development Company and McCamant &
Durrett Architects.  We believe they have the experience and credibility to
develop a project of this size.  Their model is to partner with the future
residents, facilitating the community development, financial investment,
site planning, design and construction.  Their partnership model requires a
prospective cohousing / ecovillage group to raise the necessary funds to
acquire a site, while they facilitate the transaction and create the
necessary investment instruments.  Their website is
www.cohousingpartners.com.

Please contact me for more information. Please forward this message to
anyone who might be interested in participating or investing.

Thank you very much, Cinnie Blair

530-432-1605
cpie55 [at] earthlink.net