Re: Re: more perspective on rules and regs
From: Liz (lizsignificant.com)
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 09:52:26 -0700 (PDT)
Thank you Tom.

I apologize for my former email, which was sent while I was taking a "break" from fighting with Turbo Tax. I cringe each time one of my statements is quoted, because that was surely NOT how I meant to communicate.

Jenny's message also was a help to me to discern the difference between now and later, planning and living.

But Tom's email expresses my thoughts. I thought I heard a request for advice on how to talk to a community member about how they were not following an agreement that community member had been part of making. And many responses addressed just that, they were help for how to see what might be going on, and good questions to ask to get started on the discussion.

Since I felt like I, too, might be a person who would say: "hey, we've agreed to these rules, how do I figure out how to get people to follow them?", I reacted strongly to two types of messages.

1) Those that seemed (to me) to say: don't ask us unless you are presenting the whole story. (In my experience I rarely ever have the whole story, I want to be able to ask questions while still at the exploring stage.)

2) Those that seemed (to me) to say: that's a bad rule. (I've helped develop many rules in my community. Surely some of them are "bad ideas". But since we've created them together, I hope that, as we discover the error of our ways, our discussion will be about the process of fixing the mistakes, not a lecture on why it is a mistake.)

All that said, I emphasize my first statement that I am sorry that I sent the first email. For sure, the majority of the discussion has been useful tips on how to deal with the issue when it arises. And Jenny's reminder that it won't be my ideal, but will be something different and valuable, is quite useful.

Thanks for listening
-Liz
Mosaic Commons
Building hopefully soon in Berlin, MA