Re: The shelf life of decisions
From: Liz (lizsignificant.com)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:17:09 -0700 (PDT)
My
own rule of thumb is that if an agreement does not get used for 3 years, it is worth questioning whether you need it or not. Some agreements become moot after you learn and experience things, so what you thought was an issue,
really never becomes one. After 5 years, an unused agreement certainly
should be reviewed since in almost all cohousing groups, 5 years represents
a huge amount of new people. Groups grow and change.

This makes sense to me. AND we have already spent 5 years making policies, and we are still 2 years to move in!!! Yikes

Are there other groups that have spent so long in advance of move-in? I'm thinking we'll need to reevaluate our rules before we even get in (LOL). For sure, I was hoping that the advantage of moving in was that we'd stop meeting so much. It seems painful to imagine going back over the holiday decorations policy. (I lead that discussion and won the award for the most meetings on the same topic.)

-Liz
Mosaic Commons
coming soon to Berlin, MA