Re: The shelf life of decisions
From: Karen Scheer (karenmonkeyhouse.org)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:54:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 19, 2006, at 9:16 PM, Liz wrote:

Are there other groups that have spent so long in advance of move- in? I'm thinking we'll need to reevaluate our rules before we even get in (LOL). For sure, I was hoping that the advantage of moving in was that we'd stop meeting so much. It seems painful to imagine going back over the holiday decorations policy. (I lead that discussion and won the award for the most meetings on the same topic.)

My goodness! That's a long time to be waiting to move in. I suppose there are plusses to having time to get to know each other and sort out the issues, but my sense is that getting too specific about the rules before actually living together is a waste of time. While its important to talk about and be aware of the values and guidelines of your community, things like holiday decorations seem like something that would get worked out in the daily living together part of things. Too many rules will drive people away and make it more difficult to find new people (which is the task our group in Ashland, OR is engaged in with about a year to move-in). We've found it useful to talk about "the spirit of the policies" with some suggestions for actual policies outlined clearly. I would be interested in hearing which policies established groups think are most important to get settled before move in.
-Karen Scheer
Fordyce Street Cohousing
Ashland, OR
www.ashlandcoho.com