Re: The shelf life of decisions
From: katie-henry (katie-henryatt.net)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:50:17 -0700 (PDT)
> I would be interested in hearing which policies established
> groups think are most important to get settled before move in.

At Eastern Village, something that really blew up on us after move-in was
common house use. I don't think we discussed it much before move-in. It didn't
occur to anyone. I think we all assumed everyone else shared our personal
vision of how the spaces would be used.

However, shortly after move-in a group of residents sponsored a huge
weekend-long Jewish environmentalist workshop/festival, complete with Klezmer
music and dancing in the dining room. Other community members, who saw the CH
as being a cozy, quiet, private extension of their living rooms, went
ballistic. The organizers were accused of not giving sufficient notice to the
community, although I think they did what was required in the guidelines, but
the announcement wasn't properly disseminated. It caused a lot of upset and
hard feelings at an already stressful time.

Katie
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, MD