Re: Re: more perspective on rules and regs
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:37:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 19, 2006, at 4:06 PM, Hans G. Ehrbar wrote:

(1) It is not possible to design rules which, if followed,
turn you into a good community member.

This is true but it might get the floor mopped. And this leaves open the question whether communities should tolerate, and thus encourage, non-cooperative behavior. At what point does it become co-dependent?

From this I would exclude this example from a friend who spent time studying the work policies on a kibbutz. New Russian immigrants were consistently shirking work and taking more than their share of goods and services. My friend questioned this and the "supervisor" said, it takes three (6?)months or so for them to wake up and realize that they are no longer in Russia. We wait them out, then we take action.

(2) As long as capitalism is rampant, self-serving parasitic
behavior is encouraged and even necessary.  People who are
socialized this way are not necessarily bad.

I don't think the issue is whether people are bad or not, but whether they can live in cooperatively with others. We are all raised in capitalist society so why does one person act one way and another another way.

This the same logic that says an artist is a good artist because he is schizophrenic. Not all schizophrenics are artists.

Sharon
---
Sharon Villines
Building Community: A Guide to Creating New Neighborhoods
http://www.buildingcommunity.info