Re: Re: The shelf life of decisions
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 05:20:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 21, 2006, at 3:47 AM, ken wrote:

Even well crafted rules won't replace consideration and tolerance.

The issue is defining "consideration and tolerance." Each person has their own definition. In order for individuals to become a group, they need to craft a group definition. The need for such a definition comes when one or more members of the group bump heads with someone else's definition.

Some groups start with shared definitions because the members have shared cultural traditions. But when the goal is diversity -- all bets are off. There is a lot more to talk about when you are planning on living with people who do not share your own traditions of "consideration and tolerance." Most of us probably have no idea what our boundaries are until we move into cohousing or have a similar experience that highlights them.

Cultural traditions are so embedded into who we are that we are like fish in water. What water?

Sharon
---
Sharon Villines
Building Community: A Guide to Creating New Neighborhoods
http://www.buildingcommunity.info