Re: Survey Form
From: Bonnie Fergusson (fergyb2yahoo.com)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 12:42:35 -0700 (PDT)
   I think the most serious mistake you are making
with this survey is not even considering the option of
universal participation in the cooking rotation for
common meals.  Everyone cooks, eating is optional.
I'm telling you this is really key to building
community ties that make for successful cohousing and
if you don't decide it up front you are very unlikely
to end up with a solid well functioning common meal
program.  (this is not my personal opinion only; its
based on the experience of many cohousing
communities).  Sitting down with your neighbors
regularly to eat together keeps the group tight knit
and motivated to solve the minor problems that come
up.
   Trust me the importance of the "amenities" is
markedly less after move in than the importance of the
community ties so you want to load the dice wherever
possible towards things that strengthen them.
   Also the idea that you will have a Cohousing
community that requires no work except what's done by
hired staff seems very unrealistic to me unless your
plan is very expensive luxury housing with high HOA
fees.
      Bonnie Fergusson of Swan's Market Cohousing
                          Oakland, CA