Re: Insurance-free healthcare
From: Martin Sheehy (martinsheehyyahoo.com)
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 06:10:35 -0700 (PDT)
Yes, I agree.
  Physiciians invest in costly biilling software, but invest little or nothing
in clinically relevant, decision-support, software. And few if any will avail
themselves of e-mail which would be a God-send for many patients today.
  Talk about skewed priorities.
  Marty

ken <gebser [at] speakeasy.net> wrote:
  Marty,

This sounds great. There's lots of potential here. I worked in this
field briefly (on the IT side doing open source development) and was
looking forward to creating some great net apps, but the funding for the
project ran out. At this point, I just wish my physician had and would
respond to email.

Martin Sheehy wrote:
> I do think that if we had a cadre of dedicated physicans, preferably
> resident in CoHousing communities, and several communities
> electronically networked together, that better ( than now) medical CARE
> could be rendered to our residents telemedically ( The AMIA/Am. Medical
> Informatics Assoc. has its Sprng Congress here in Phoenix AZ next week:
> Theme: EDR/electronic digital medical record, telemedicine, & rural
> care---I'll be there!) with the availabilty of part-time practise of
> Medicine & CARE by these self-identifed physicans. These physicians
> could have " physician extenders " ( RNs LPNs NPs, PAs etc.) resident
> full- or part-time in cohousing communities--perhaps in suites/rooms in
> the Common House ear-marked just for this purpose?. Yes. THAT would
> attract the frail elderly to such assisted-CARE CoHousing communites, &
> others besides.
> ( Dr.) Marty
>
> */ken /* wrote:
>

> Sharon,
>
> Interesting thoughts. One problem with the US healthcare system (as I
> see it) is that typical/universal mindset that everything must be
> handled by some mega-corporation, generally the one(s) which provide the
> largest campaign contributions.
>
> Would you consider taking on a practice consisting only of patients who
> were individually self-insured? I.e., everyone would simply pay you
> out-of-pocket when using your services. How many patients typically
> comprise a physician's practice? How many nurses and other medical
> support personnel does a family practice generally require?
>

> Saramandaia Farm wrote:
> > I'm in complete agreement with Martin about the US medical system(s),
> > and have run up against the proverbial brick wall trying to combine
> > solutions for our own long-term needs (we're 60 and 71, no health
> > problems at all) with affordable housing in the US and my wish to
> > practice medicine on a very part-time basis for chunks of time...kind
> > of like job-sharing/co-housing/home exchange. This seems not really
> > to be the right forum for discussing personal solutions. But I'll
> > post anyway...maybe someone would like to respond off-list:)
> >
> > I'm a family doctor living outside the US (less expensive, less
> > government intrusion, and it's my home after 35 years here). I have
> > no health insurance coverage in the US and couldn't afford to buy a
> > home at the prices I see in co-housing communities...unless we sold
> > what we already own, or I worked full-time. We designed our lives
> > to date to be much more flexible than that. We could just stay
> > where we are, but we also have 2 grown kids living in the US, and
> > grandchildren there (Seattle area). So it's a funny situation for
> > us. We'd like to live for several months of the year in a
> > co-housing setting. I'm a board-certified family doc, US trained
> > and licensed, and would enjoy working for a few months of the year.
> > We're debt-free and own our own home and farm...lots of land, 3
> [...]

As a statistic, the US Unemployment Rate is like saying that no one is
drowning because the flood waters have risen only five inches today.