Re: Alternatives to sanctions
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 08:50:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 30, 2006, at 5:52 PM, Hans G. Ehrbar wrote:

In the previous discussion about rules and regulations, a
recent article from Science was cited as evidence that
rule-enforcement by sanctions is a necessity in cohousing.
Does this mean that we have to forget about all that touchy
feely consensus stuff, since there is no alternative to a
policeman knocking at your door?

How did you get from sanctions to dropping consensus? Wouldn't sanctions, or I would prefer to call them consequences of choices, would be decided by consensus in a consensus community?

And in this study, I think the most telling point is that only took a few games for everyone to switch the mode where only those who contributed reaped the rewards. This has nothing to do with sanctions.

Sharon
---
Sharon Villines
Building Community: A Guide to Creating New Neighborhoods
http://www.buildingcommunity.info