Re: LLC vs co-op (i.e., structures")
From: Martin Sheehy (martinsheehyyahoo.com)
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 09:02:59 -0700 (PDT)
Yes. The concept of weekend or Summer use of a CoHousing unit I find
interesting.

  For example: Those of us living in Phoenix often want a second home in the
High Country to get away on Fridays thru' Mondays & for Summer use to get away
from the heat of the desert.

  I have floated this idea previously.
  Marty.

Sharon Villines <sharon [at] sharonvillines.com> wrote:

On May 11, 2006, at 4:10 AM, gary [at] thewoodlandcommunity.com wrote:

> I am also interested in exploring whether there may be a market for a
> cohousing community targeting individuals or families interested in
> building second homes (i.e., vacation and/or retirement homes) located
> within weekend communing distance of where they live.

I think this is an interesting concept and have been thinking of
something similar -- not vacation homes but a rental component attached
to a cohousing community.

In urban areas like Washington DC and Manhattan, you have a large
number of people who need a pied a terre in the city while their main
residence is elsewhere. At the same time, the high land values require
high density developments larger than the sweet spot of 25-30
households. What if a cohousing community of 25-30 households were
combined with a number of small rental units appropriate for commuters
who spent 3-4 nights a week there, or came in for the weekends. In DC
there are large numbers of young people who come into town for
internships that may last 6 months to 2 years, and political workers
who come in for a few years, perhaps for only part of the year.

Mixing these two kinds of units would enable the cohousing community to
maintain intimacy while providing a more home-like atmosphere for the
changing landscape of renters. Many of the renters would not
participate in meals, etc. but some would. Most would just benefit from
the look and feel of a less commercial building.

Sharon
---
Sharon Villines
Building Community: A Guide to Creating New Neighborhoods
http://www.buildingcommunity.info