Re: "Second Home" Cohousing Communities
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 07:27:47 -0700 (PDT)
patjavcc [at] aol.com
is the author of the message below.
after deleteing 3 quoted messages.  Please delete uneeded quotes.
Fred

I feel very strongly that it's important to live where you work.  But I
have always been lucky to find a job within a very short distance of where
I live and where my children go to school.  When job hunting I've always
tried to apply to places that were within 10 miles of my home.  I do
realize that it's not always possible to find something however, and my
husband and I have been very fortunate.  We chose to live in the city
because we believe very strongly in this concept, (even though I grew up
in rural Vermont and know what I'm 'missing'.)  I react strongly to the
idea of people owning two homes where one is empty as the other is being
used, because I see this as a waste and not good for the environment.
But...owning two homes where the 'extra' one is used often and shared by
many, that seems like the best of both worlds.  (I'm not against taking
vacations!)

Another angle...one of the biggest advantages to living is cohousing with
my two kids (ages 11 and 9) is the community life and help that I
experience during the week.  I feel that I don't 'need' community so much
during the weekends so I don't see being attracted to a
cohousing-on-the-weekends only environment.  Plus, if cohousing were
populated on the weekends only, these weekends would be filled with
meetings and work requirements...not very relaxing.

Finally, elder cohousing is really gaining popularity.  I love the
mixed-age community we have in Boston and think that I would always be
attracted to this mix and not a place with families-only or elders-only.

Patti
JPCohousing in Boston, MA