Re: gas stoves: math
From: truddick (truddickearthlink.net)
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 20:12:19 -0700 (PDT)
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 15:09:15 -0700
From: Robert Moskowitz <robertm [at] knowledgetree.com>
 ntent-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

Yes, but that's after burning a billion BTU. Since the average stove
burner produces something like 10,000 BTU per hour...

Intrigued, I did the math myself.

The # of BTUs generated will not be constant; it will vary depending on if
you have a professional, restaurant quality cooktop or a second-hand Sears.
Also on how high you turn the flame.

In general it takes 1 BTU to raise 1 pint of water by 1 degree Fahrenheit.

Therefore, by my calculations, if you boil a gallon of water that started
life at 62 degrees F., you generate 0.204 pounds of carbon dioxide-and since
that boil happens faster than one hour (we hope!) then you are generating
more than 10 times the figures you calculated.  Now, that's for just one
burner with just one gallon on it; cook pasta and sauce for 40 and simmer
some lovely Italian wedding soup to go with, and you're generating over four
times as much noxious gas.  More so if your stove is not in perfect tune.

Also note that any stove with pilot lights will generate a constant minute
flow of these gases and pollutants.
___
  !    _    Thomas E. "TR" Ruddick
  !   !_)   Nunquam Vadis Levis!