Re: gas stoves and indoor air quality (ken)
From: truddick (truddickearthlink.net)
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 20:17:03 -0700 (PDT)
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 06:39:32 -0400
From: ken <gebser [at] speakeasy.net>

"I too have a gas cooktop, but an electric oven.  I also had a carbon
monoxide detector running for a few years.  I unplugged it after a while
though because it would start screeching like a banshee every time-- and
only when-- I would bake bread (in the *electric* oven)."

I just love to guess about stuff like this.

Is it a pilot or electric-light or match-light rangetop?

Is it on top of the stove or are they far apart?

My thought is that the heat from the oven is causing a partial combustion of
a minute gas leak from somewhere-maybe a hyperactive pilot light, maybe
something internal in the works.

In any case, I'd take that carbon monoxide detector seriously, and rather
than unplugging it, I'd call an appliance tech or someone from the gas
company to do a thorough check.

___
  !    _    Thomas E. "TR" Ruddick
  !   !_)   Nunquam Vadis Levis!