Re: renter and resale policies
From: NetiPotLady (NetiPotLadyaol.com)
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 12:46:15 -0700 (PDT)
We are a cohousing community of 48 households, with a number of
nonparticipating members and renters. The owners of the rental units do not
participate
regularly in meetings and the renters are not allowed to vote for  their owners
even if the owner wants them to. The owners pay the usual COA dues  for their
unit so renters are allowed to participate in all ways with the  community
except voting. Our community has no work requirement at this time  and some
members and renters moved in with the assumption that they did not have  to do
anything and the majority of the renters do not participate in much  (we have 5
full time rental units with 8 occupants and others (4 that I can  think of)
that are rented for part of the year). There will be at least 2  more units
that
will be fulltime rental units starting this summer. There is no  cap on the
number of units that may be rented in the community (What is the cap  that
other
cohousing communities have?)

We have had some resales already in our year and a half of living here (one
unit has turned over twice, four others have resold, two more will probably
be resold in the next year). We are grapling with how to integrate new members
and also what we can do to make sure resales and renters are interested in
participating in cohousing. This was a developer driven community and the push
to sell units quickly made for some of the difficulties we are experiencing
now  in my estimation. Can we require prospectives to attend a meeting and
meal before they make a decision about renting or buying? Can we require
people
to be on a team or contribute in some way to our community? What do other
communities do?

Gina  Kruse
Stone Curves Cohousing
136 E. Limberlost Dr. #101