Re: Anecdotes for Diana Christians new book
From: Eris Weaver (eriswsonic.net)
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 07:58:11 -0700 (PDT)
Waaay back before move-in, before construction, we held regular
orientation meetings for prospective members. We showed the cohousing
video, handed out a variety of materials about cohousing in general and
our community in particular, discussed our community values and plans,
etc. One of our values - enviromentalism - manifests in the space
allocated to parking - one and a half spaces per unit, less than the
standard for this area. Our hope was to decrease our automobile use.

After all of our presentations and discussions, we opened things up for
questions. Usually questions would center around finances ("How much
will a 2-bedroom unit cost?" "How much money do I have to put in to
become a member?"), the membership process ("How many meetings do I have
to attend before I become a full member?"), amenities ("Will there be a
hot tub?"), values ("Will meals be organic?"), etc.

On this day, a woman in the front row eagerly threw her hand up in the
air and asked the first question, "Will there be space to park our RV?"

I made great effort to control my facial muscles while I paused to craft
a response. "Well....if THAT is your most pressing question for us, I
suspect that this ISN'T the right community for you!"

Eris Weaver                 erisw [at] sonic.net
FrogSong
Cotati, CA

"The cure for anything is saltwater -
sweat, tears, or the sea."