Re: Political Views in Cohousing
From: Steve Faber (stevecityvisioninc.org)
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 12:07:09 -0700 (PDT)
Nice work!  There should be some fun responses!

Steve

On Jun 2, 2006, at 2:42 PM, Karen Hoekstra wrote:

These two statements caught my attention and concern me a bit:

when someone in our community says they "want more

diversity" in the group it doesn't mean they want Republicans,

white supremacists, or homophobes

if there's a Republican in our community,

they're not being very obvious about it.

I'm not sure (although I know there are those who will disagree with me)
that republicans should be grouped in the same category as white
supremacists and homophobes.and how exactly does one become an "obvious"
republican, other than perhaps posting signs in their year supporting
republican political candidates? If there was a republican in your
community, would you be concerned?

I am part of a group of cohousers preparing to break ground on our community later this summer, and while I realize that the great majority of cohousers tend to hold more democratic and/or liberal views when it comes to politics, I'd hate to think that I was about to move into a community of intolerance
and discrimination against those who do not.

I don't want to spark a right vs. left debate, but please remember that ones
political opinions are not always a dead give-away of their values or
beliefs, nor should they be the basis of judgment of that person.

Karen Hoekstra

Newberry Place Cohousing

Grand Rapids, MI