What % of households gravitate to kitchen?
From: Fillard Rhyne (fillardhevanet.com)
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 23:36:51 -0700 (PDT)
The past few years, I've repeatedly heard people recommend designing units with
the kitchens in the front, the point being that the room(s) where people spend
most of their time should be placed where the connection to the community is
strongest.

I agree that locating the main "active room" in the front of the house is a
great idea, but wonder what percentage of households (that don't already have
the kitchen in front) actually spend more time in the kitchen than in any other
one room. Are we talking a huge majority, like 80%, or is it more like 40% with
the other households split among the living room, the den, the bedrooms, the
garden, etc.? Anybody know?

I currently live by myself (not in a cohousing community yet) and work at home
five days a week. It would be easy to go stir crazy, but fortunately my front
room has a big picture window that looks out into the neighborhood -- I love
it, it helps me feel like I'm part of the world. I spend most of my waking
hours there as it's my combination living room/dining room/office. And even
when chopping vegetables, why stand at a counter when I can sit at a desk or
table in my living room? I'm not big on standing. :-)

Anyway, it would be depressing to move someplace where I still spent most of my
time in my living room/dining room/office, but said room was now tucked away in
the back somewhere. And it would be rough to pay a customization fee to get my
living room up front where I want it, and then not be able to find a buyer
when/if I needed to move. Thus my interest in knowing exactly how common the
phenomenon is.

(Part of the issue may be the distinction between where people spend their
time, period, and where people spend their "active" time or "social" time.)

Thanks,
Fillard
503-777-0117
http://www.fillard.com

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy