Re: What % of households gravitate to kitchen?
From: ken (gebserspeakeasy.net)
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 03:27:27 -0700 (PDT)
Generally I don't spend much time in the kitchen, so having a view while
there is lower on my list of priorities than things like convenience,
ease of cleaning, safety, accessibility and other considerations.  A
view is nice but not a deal breaker.  If I want something to look at
while doing the dishes or whatever, I could put up a bird feeder outside
a little window.

The times when I do spend more time in the kitchen is when other people
are there with me.  Then I don't need to commune with people outside the
window.  If I want to talk to people walking by, then I can sit on
porch.  This should be signal enough that I'm open to conversation.  In
inclimate weather there's a telephone or community house.

Re: picture windows, I'd agree with Frank Lloyd Wright that while it's
generally good to mitigate the distinction between inner and outer,
picture windows take away privacy.  They're also expensive and not as
energy-efficient or as safe as a smaller window would be.

I'd agree that community should be a seemless part of living, but we
should be able to choose privacy also.