Re: Too much Cohousing-L email? Try C-L-Summary
From: Jock Coats (jock.coatsoxfordshirecommunitylandtrusts.org.uk)
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 08:48:55 -0700 (PDT)

On 8 Jun 2006, at 16:38, Fred H Olson wrote:

Between Wed 5/31 and Wed 6/7 there were 113 Cohousing-L messages -
over twice the average of about 50 / per week (range 10-115).

The main reason people unsubscribe is because the number of messages is
more than they can handle.

There are a number of ways to read cohousing-L discussion with varying
amounts of email:

Can I add the one that I use the most - filters.

Most decent modern mail reading programs have a facility to filter mail automatically into folders for filing. If you know how to set up a filter you can get your Coho-L mail to go into somewhere other than your inbox which you maybe want to keep "pristine" for those "really important one to one emails" and just not see mailing list ones and similar until you want to go read them.

Some are even more sophisticated (Thunderbird and Mac's Mail.app certainly do this) and allow you to filter messages into folders and then build a sort of "query" that brings together all mail of a certain characteristic. So, for example, I NEVER look at my inbox. I reckon I filter about ninety per cent of my messages into various categories and then build a smart folder that displays all of today's messages only in one window, and another for yesterday's and another for the past week's and so on, so my inbox is nice and tidy, but I can have a sort of "day book" of all mail arriving today that might spark my interest to go to the folder I've filtered the Coho-L stuff into and read back through the topic concerned.

So every day I effectively start with a clean mailbox.

If anyone wants help doing this kind of thing, do mail me, privately and off list please.

Jock
--
Jock Coats - Chair, Oxfordshire Community Land Trusts
c/o Warden's Flat 1e, J Block Morrell Hall, OXFORD, OX3 0FF