Re: Disillusioned --> Oxymoron
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 11:43:14 -0700 (PDT)
Sharon has hit it on the head -- again.
It's SO imperfect. This weekend I found that someone had volunteered RoseWind to be on a tour about "sustainable living". Oh dear. If everyone on earth lived like I do, it would take, I believe, three planet Earths to support us all. We drive cars, take airplane trips, live in homes of 800-2800 sq ft, water our plants, and run clean water down our drains far too often. Then again, human community is part of the sustainability mix, and we have it in abundance. The average supermarket food has travelled something like 1500+ miles, and my eggs and greens for breakfast came from within sight of my house. The NEV electric golf-cart-type car I share with my neighbor sits in my yard, ready to take me on my daily errands without gasoline. I just got a call arranging for me to take charge of a neighbor's two children, aged 6 and 10, for 3 weeks, while the parents travel for work. One half day business meeting a month, plus a few discussion circles and committee meetings. Three hours this morning chopping blackberries out of a wild-rose thicket. And somehow between us -- even with a third of the members participating little-- we do have a community hall, a big vegetable garden, 20 chickens, carpooling, shared information, helping hands. Less than utopia, but it's good to be reminded that it's better than Mainstream, by quite a lot. Inch by inch, row by row-- we need to keep working at it. And some of us - I hear you Sharon - love to be in that flow.
Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA http://www.rosewind.org