Re: Pets and the CGC
From: whitney beers (whitneybeersearthlink.net)
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:51:04 -0700 (PDT)
Lots of folks - like me - believe that one of the worst things you can do for a
cat's health is to restrict it to the indoors.  If I had to keep one inside, I
wouldn't own it.  That's where we get fat, kidney challenged cats, not to
mention litter boxes which are typically gross, regardless of how often they
are cleaned.  We try not to allow them inside the units, and I have a cat (used
to be 2, but alas, a fox evened the score for the birds and took one out.  I'd
rather have the cat back, of course, but he had a great time while he was
around, and died how he lived.  It was a fair fight.).  I read all of the
statistics about how many birds cats kill, and I guess they have merit - but
mine is quite a hunter, and I rarely see dead birds or other animals, and I
know the bird population is thriving on our 6 acres.  The mouse-in-the-house
population?  Zero!

We own 3 dogs, all of which have trained with various organizations, including
a search and rescue team.  The Canine Good Citizen test is an EXCELLENT
barometer - but less for the dog than for the owner!  Any dog can do it, but
the real work (and it is actually work) comes from the owner taking an interest
in responsibility for their dog.  These types of owners I have found make MUCH
better pet neighbors, as they not only know how to control their animals, but
more importantly that it is necessary to control them.  The number one problem
I have had in community with dogs is owners who do not see what a nuisance
their animal has the potential to be.  No pet policy will affect these folks
happily - but they are also the people who will be unwilling to go through the
CGC process.

We have a vacation home that we rent out.  The policy is NO PETS - unless they
have a Canine Good Citizen certificate.  It has worked beautifully, and we
haven't had a single problem, not one.  We do not allow cats inside at all.

Whitney