Was Pet Policy now "To Do or Not To Do"
From: Dave and Diane (daveanddeeverizon.net)
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 06:44:51 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,
This brings to mind for me the concept of positive and negative space, which I
spent a lot of time working on in art school. It was a very difficult concept
for me to grasp, because my natural inclination was to fill up all the space
on the page with as much text and as many pictures as possible. Gradually,
after many semesters of hard work, my teachers finally managed to get it
through my head that "not space" is space, it's just that it's used in a
different way. It's  purpose is to give the page room to "breathe" so the
reader can focus on the important things.

The problem in cohousing is that we all have competing needs and we all want
to fill up the space with our "stuff." But that does not leave any "white
space" in the plan for the eye to rest. Trees are nice, but if you fill your
landscape with trees, then you don't have room for a bench set or a pond. If
you fill your landscape with gardens, you don't have room for an open green
space. If you fill your walkways with chairs, toys, boxes, carts, wagons, etc.
you don't have open paths for kids to play on, or for elderly people to get by
with walkers or wheelchairs.

Every placement of "stuff" that fills up a niche takes away from the "white
space" which is not only useful but necessary to our mental health. I hope you
will all mull this over carefully the next time someone in your community
raises an objection to some object being sited, no matter how wonderful it may
seem to many of you at the time.

--Diane Simpson
  JP Cohousing, Boston