Was the Declaration of Independence a cohousing moment?
From: David Heimann (heimannworld.std.com)
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 20:25:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Everyone,

Three years ago I sent this message out (original by me, as far as I can tell). For those who haven't saved their e-mails three years back :-) or who weren't on the Cohousing-L list at the time, here it is again for your enjoyment (or maybe it hits home all too well!).

        Happy Fourth of July!

Regards,
David Heimann
Jamaica Plain Cohousing

P.S. -- Since I wrote this three years ago, JP Cohousing has gone through two further years of development (including the agony of value engineering and the ecstasy of move-in) and one year of living there, so many cohousing moments have passed between then and now!

Hello Cohousers,

        As I see it, the Declaration of Independence had to be a cohousing
moment.  After all:

        o  It took about a year to decide on it.

        o  The draft was written by a committee.

        o  It was adopted by consensus after virtually an infinite number
of meetings and discussions.

        o  The vote to declare independence took place on July 2, but by
the time they finished going over the document, removing whole sections,
rewording others, and finally voting to adopt the whole thing, it was July 4.

        o  It took the rest of the month to get the word out to all the
colonies.

        See?  It *had* to be a cohousing moment!

Happy Independence Day!
David Heimann