Re: Trillium Hollow Pet Policy - Thanks For All The Input
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 06:17:26 -0700 (PDT)
Dirk Herr-Hoyman <hoymand [at] danenet.org>
is the author of the message below.
after deleting very long quote.

Thanks Charles for sharing your Pet Policy.
Arboretum Cohousing (Madison, WI) is in the process of
developing it's own initial policies and it's quite helpful
to see what others have done.
We already got many of the elements you are using in our
draft policy (general tolerance, owners are responsible,
conflict resolution) you've got much more detail.

I would encourage other communities to share their Pet Policies,
so we can compare and contrast.  Below is the draft that we have
going:

Pets

Community Value: Balancing Community and Privacy, Interconnectedness
of Life

Owners will be allowed to have pets as long as the particular pet
does not pose a threat to the community or its members.  Common sense
should guide potential pet owners. Common indoor spaces are generally
off limits to pets except as they are passing through building on a
leash between a unit and the outdoors.

Pets will be permitted on private balconies and terraces and the
common terrace if they are leashed and under the direct control of
their owner.  Pets will be allowed off-leash on private balconies
that are accessible only to the unit. Pet owners are required to make
all reasonable efforts to keep our green space clean.  Pets should
not be allowed to defecate on community grounds.

Owners are also responsible for preventing nuisance conditions
associated with their pets including but not limited to prolonged
barking, abusive odor, and aggressive behavior.   Should nuisance
conditions arise complaints will be referred to the conflict
resolution committee.  In the event that efforts to eliminate
nuisance conditions fail the offending pet may be banished from the
community.

--Dirk

--
Dirk Herr-Hoyman