Re: Monthly dues or assessments
From: Robert Heinich (robertenocommons.org)
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 07:29:49 -0700 (PDT)
Sari,

At Eno Commons, we pay $100 per month per house. We have not had an assessment since first move-in (July 1998) but have had fundraisers to help cover capital expenses. (We just had a luau and auction last month to raise funds to complete the Common House upstairs.)

The components of the monthly $100 HOA dues are
  $40: reserve
  $15: capital projects
  $45: operational expenses

This topic has come up from time to time so looking at the Cohousing-L archives might be helpful. Also there is entry in the ic.org/cohousing.org community database for regular fees.

Having said this, your community needs to decide what it wants to cover. If your community want bagels every Saturday morning, go for it. Our community provides child care for meetings, some communities do not. So just knowing the aggregate amount may not provide enough info for your community reassessment.

Every community is unique and ideally the dues structure reflects the community's values.

-Robert Heinich
 Eno Commons Cohousing Neighborhood
 Durham, NC

----- Original Message ----- From: <Ajasbubbie [at] aol.com>