Re: Trillium Hollow Pet Policy - Thanks For All The Input
From: Nancy Baumeister (nancybeepeak.org)
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 10:28:39 -0700 (PDT)

Here is our pet policy. Some parts may look familiar :-), since we borrowed phrasing and ideas from what we read in other community's policies. We used NVC to great benefit to understand each others needs.

I was very involved in writing the policy since I live with two dogs which I consider family members. The process of developing this policy deepened my trust that I would be able to live whole-heartedly in my comunity. NVC was essential to getting to where everybody's needs got met.

Nancy Baumeister- CoHo Ecovillage- Corvallis Oregon
(and Bandit- 14 yo border collie and Jennifur- 4 yo multi-mutt mix)

++++++++++++++++
CoHo Ecovillage members acknowledge the fun, affection, comforts, and meaning these companion animals add to their families’ lives. We also acknowledge that some members may prefer neither to have pets nor to interact with others’ pets. This policy regarding pets is intended to promote a harmonious relationship among pets, pet owners, and non-pet owners and a peaceful, clean, and safe environment for all. We also value native wildlife and the environment and want to protect it from the negative impact of pets. This policy does not cover farm animals.
Guidelines for pets

● Individuals must be responsible for their own pets
○ Caring for them
○ Keeping them under control
○ Owners are expected to be responsive to concerns expressed by others regarding problem behavior (e.g. noise)
○ Owners are expected to minimize their pet’s impact on wildlife.
○ Members are encouraged to notify the CoHo community via the common house bulletin board either before getting a new pet or within one week after getting a new pet. Anyone that wants to meet and learn about the animal will have the opportunity to do so. This allows members to meet the new pet and express or clarify any concerns. ● Any concerns about a specific animal should be addressed first by speaking directly to the owner. If no resolution is reached then the conflict resolution process will be used. ● Dogs should either be confined to a yard, on a leash, or under control (with certification as OK off leash) and supervision at all times. ● The owner can have a dog-training professional observe and test the effectiveness of voice control for any dog which the owner wishes to be off-leash and if control is deemed adequate, the dog will be certified as OK off leash.
● Service animals are the only animals allowed in the common house.
● In common areas, owners are responsible for thoroughly cleaning up their animals feces at the time of deposit. ● Out of respect for our desire to protect wildlife, cats may be outdoors only if confined in a yard or on a leash (Options for cat-containment are outlined in the resources section.).