Re: Trillium Hollow Pet Policy - Thanks For All The Input
From: Nancy Baumeister (nancybeepeak.org)
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 11:18:52 -0700 (PDT)
I hesitated to bring the topic up at this time because I know that you at Trillium Hollow are at the end of the policy-writing process and not at the gathering-information time in the process. So, understand that my comments are _*not *_aimed at suggesting that you (Trillium Hollow) change your policy.

But, for those communities which maybe considering a pet policy, I wanted to echo the comment that banning specific dog breeds is not an effective way to create safety around dogs.

For lots more information check out this book
*Dogs Bite: But Balloons and Slippers Are More Dangerous (Paperback) *
by Janis Bradley <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author-exact=Janis%20Bradley&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%2C-daterank/103-8580576-4851867>

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1888047186/103-8580576-4851867?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

There is more to the book than I can excerpt here, but the part that really made me sit up and begin thinking about action for our community is her discussion about educating children about appropriate behavior around dogs. She notes that we take extensive action to protect children around swimming pools. We teach them not to swim unless adults are present, we watch them while they swim, we put fences around pools and yet 1000 children drown each year. In contrast, we do very little to teach kids about how to behave appropriately around dogs and we do not always supervise very small children around dogs and still only 10 children are killed by dog bites in a year. This number could readily be reduced to zero. For our community, I intend to suggest that we do explicit teaching for kids around how to treat dogs. I think that this will make them safer in our community and throughout their lives out there in the world.

Signed, a dog lover
Nancy Baumeister
CoHo Ecovillage
Corvallis Oregon
PS (moving into emotional territory here) My Jennifur is possibly part rottie- would she be banned?

Charles Maclean wrote:
Fellow Cohousers -

After many years of indecision we've adopted a new pet policy.  It appears
below. <snip> 7. The types of pets you may keep at Trillium Hollow are not regulated
except for the following dog breeds.  These breeds are banned: Rottweilers,
Pitbulls (American Staffordshire Terrier, Pitbull Terrier, Staffordshire
Bull Terrier, English Bull Terrier, Bull Terrier), Fighting Dog Breeds (such
as Dogo Argentino, Tosa Inu, Filo Brasileiro/ Brazilian Mastiff and Perro de
Presa Canario) and Akita.  All other breeds must be covered under their
owner's or caregiver's homeowner's or renter's insurance policy or other
liability insurance.