Re: Sunset Provisions - was pet policy and sharing policies
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 10:35:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 3, 2006, at 12:04 PM, Herveys wrote:

 Sociocracy says
that policies should be handled similarly and advises not to break your neck trying to get the policy exactly right the first time. But do build into your governance structure means for measuring the success of your policies
and a commitment to refine them as needed.

Many of us moved in to cohousing with the aim of designing the perfect community. The perfect house, the perfect commonhouse, the perfect policies. There was also a lot of fear underlying that aim as well. A fear that after all this work, it might not turn out right. We have to agree right now about just how it's going to be.

In the end the perfectionism and the fear give way to what works. And to what works specifically for this set of people living in this particular location in this particular time.

Sociocratic governance stresses trying policies to see what works. That gives you more information on with which to improve the policy. Regular reviews to delete and revise policies is more productive than the energy we put into trying to write a policy based on no experience.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
http://www.sociocracy.info