Re: Backup procedure for decisions, and developers & bankers
From: Tree Bressen (treeic.org)
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 14:38:00 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Tom & folks,

One of the questions we need to answer for the
prospectus is: what kind of decision making structure
does your group have? (Our answer--consensus.)  The
next question that the potential developer will read:
what is the group's backup procedure for making
decisions?

We are inclined to say something that will satisfy
qualms a developer might feel about consensus,
especially if he/she is unfamiliar with the process,
so we are considering saying that our backup procedure
will be by 2/3 majority vote.

What most cohousing groups do to address this is to create a genuine voting fallback procedure, then establish a solid consensus process so that the fallback hardly ever needs to be invoked. See my article on the topic at http://treegroup.info/topics/A6-cohousing.html.

Cheers,

--Tree

Tree Bressen
1680 Walnut St.