Re: Backup procedure for decisions
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 17:38:51 -0700 (PDT)
The message below below was posted
by Fred the Cohousing-L , list manager <fholson [at] cohousing.org>
for "XX" by request.

> Consensus works [...] horribly for decisions like "What twenty-five
> items shall we cut out of the budget?" or "Which shall be our
> primary goal: affordability, handicapped accessibilty, diversity,
> sustainability, or preserving open space?" In development you face a
> lot of complex decisions that are thrown at you all at once.

Maybe I'm being hopelessly naive here, but it seems to me that the
coho group should decide on a a floorplan and building material
samples before they try to get a developer to build something.  How
can you discover the core values of your coho in the midst of trying
to erect buildings?

Prior to that, I can imagine consulting sessions with architects and
contractors so the coho can learn about designs, technologies, prices,
schedules, and so forth.  But this is still in the brainstorming
stage, and only paying for skilled review a few hours at a time.

                                                        xxxxxx