Re: "Targeting" the wealthy
From: Martin Sheehy (martinsheehyyahoo.com)
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 12:13:18 -0700 (PDT)
I had thought of inviting a developer to assist in building affordable
cohousing ( $ 120,000 to 150,000) homes for the elderly.

  And, thanks for the education re existing attempts in the CoHousing
communities to meet these needs.

  Marty.

Sharon Villines <sharon [at] sharonvillines.com> wrote:

On Jul 12, 2006, at 12:47 PM, juniperjojo [at] aol.com wrote:

> I'd like to suggest that you be more careful with your words. When
> you state that cohousing is "targeting" the wealthy it implies intent,
> which I feel strongly is absent in the cohousing movement.

I agree and this point has been argued on this list numerous times
before. Many of our households qualified for various DC housing
programs targeted at households making under $45,000 a year. Other
communities have included Habitat for Humanity Homes. Others purposely
included features that allowed people to buy now and finish interiors
later.

The only sense in which cohousing could be charged with "targeting the
wealthy" is if you define "wealthy" as people who can afford, with
help, to buy a home. This is not the "fault" of cohousing. It's true
because there are no developers out there who can afford to risk their
own hard-earned money to build rental cohousing. Cohousing is just too
hard to do with a stable population -- doing it on one-, two-, or even
three-year leases would be suicide.

And no groups have formed who want to build the kind of off-the-grid
housing that is allowed in communities like Dancing Rabbit where people
can live in tents for $3,000 a year. It would be really interesting if
you wanted to do that.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines