Re: Charge People as Households or Individuals
From: Becky Weaver (beckyweaverswbell.net)
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 15:49:13 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Emily,

  We found it made the most sense to base our membership fees by household,
since ultimately each household will purchase one house. It made record-keeping
easier. Household membership also fluctuates, but a house is a house. There is
also a precedent in standard Homeowner's Association (aka condo)  fees, which
are assessed to each household regardless of the number of residents in the
home (although square footage can make a difference).

  This setup feels unfair to single people compared to multi-income households.
On the other hand, some single people have more disposable income than, say, a
one-income family of four. Since in this case, as in so many, it's impossible
to be fair, we decided to make it simple.

  We also scaled equity membership fees depending upon the expected size of
homes. Those buying one-bedrooms have a lower fee than those buying
three-bedrooms. The fees are loosely based upon expected home price.

  When we are distributing the costs of an event, for example a training
workshop with meals and housing, we charge per individual attending the event.

  Becky Weaver
  Central Austin Cohousing/Kaleidoscope Village
  Austin, Texas

Richard and Emily <june227 [at] comcast.net> wrote:
  Hello!

I am part of an emerging cohousing community in Richmond, Virginia. We are at
the stage of possibly signing on with a developer. There is an initial
assessment of our needs/liabilities/strengths, for this we are being charged a
fee that we all agree is quite reasonable.
Where we have diverging views is around whether to charge people per household
(no matter the number of occupants), or as individuals. Has this issue come
up?What have you all done about this?

Thank you for your help!

-Emily Reusing