Re: "Targeting" the wealthy
From: Becky Weaver (beckyweaverswbell.net)
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 17:20:28 -0700 (PDT)
Brian wrote,
| And no groups have formed who want to build the kind of off-the-grid
| housing that is allowed in communities like Dancing Rabbit where
| people can live in tents for $3,000 a year. It would be really
| interesting if you wanted to do that.

As someone who is willing to self-build all sorts of alternative
wierdness, I've wondered about that. Is it that the tastes of
cohousers and ecovillagers simply don't overlap? That it's banned by
zoning/permitting/licensing/publicity/etc in areas where cohos want to
be? That coho structures tend to have mortgages, which require resale
values, which requires acceptability to broad tastes?  I've done some thinking
about this, and I think that mortgages/financing are one factor.
  More fundamentally, for most ecovillagers, I suspect that the "eco" is
foremost and the village is a means to that end. For most cohousers, it's the
"co" that's foremost, and the "housing" is a means to that end.

  Researching alternative weirdness is fun, but if your main goal is community,
with the housing as a means to that goal, you will get the housing done much,
much faster - possibly even prior to total community burnout - if you turn the
design & construction over to people who do housing for a living.

  Remember that building 30 houses plus a common house, even on a phased
construction schedule, has a higher level of complexity than building one house
31 times. This is a massive undertaking, not comparable to building yourself a
custom home on your own piece of land. And building professionals have to be
more conservative than self-builders, because they'll get sued if they choose
something new & it doesn't perform as expected.

  Another difference between cohousers and those who chose more "alternative"
forms of intentional community is that, to make a broad generalization,
cohousers are looking to enhance the lives they already have, not embark upon a
completely new way of life. Some people, especially retirees, move to a new
city for cohousing, but the majority of people move into cohousing while
keeping the same job, friends, car, hobbies, and habits that they had before
they moved into cohousing. Moving off the grid and living in a tent while
self-building your eco-house could get pretty hairy if you were also holding
down a full-time job and raising children. Perhaps there are hardy souls who
have done this, and my hat's off to them, but the average cohouser isn't
looking for that kind of challenge.

  All that said, the "lot development" model of cohousing offers people who
want radical alternative housing the opportunity to build it in cohousing,
without taking the entire cohousing community down the alt-road with them. In
that model, each household is responsible for building their own house plus
financing a portion of the common house & infrastructure. I believe that there
have been some interesting alternative construction techniques done on homes in
lot development communities, although I'm not sure if any of their owners are
on this list.

  Becky Weaver
  Central Austin Cohousing/Kaleidoscope Village
  Austin, Texas