Re: Charge People as Households or Individuals
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 18:58:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 12, 2006, at 4:21 PM, Catya Belfer-Shevett wrote:
I am part of an emerging cohousing community in Richmond, Virginia. We are at the stage of possibly signing on with a developer. There is an initial assessment of our needs/liabilities/strengths, for this we are being charged a fee that we all agree is quite reasonable. Where we have diverging views is around whether to charge people per household (no matter the number of occupants), or as individuals. Has this issue come up?What have you all done about this?

What we have done is allow people to contribute whatever amount they
want, by household, that will then be credited toward the cost of their
unit.

I think this is a very good idea. Even better is to assess each household a set amount that will be credited toward their home purchase and used for various things like charrettes, marketing, etc. Then you have a fund to which each household has contributed to equally and receives equal benefit. But household is the best way to do these things because after you move in, in all likelihood, it will be households you are dealing with, not people.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC