Re: "Targeting" the wealthy
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 20:23:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 12, 2006, at 2:37 PM, Brian Bartholomew wrote:

How small of a greenspace can be made to feel like a refuge?  Do you
need 10 acres?  Or would 1 do if it were densely forested and
landscaped full of nooks, paths, mazes, treehouses, and such?  Can you
build a coho for ten households on 2 acres?

                                                        Brian

Hello Brian --

Takoma Village Cohousing is a highly urban 43 unit community built on 1.43 acres. In our sixth year, our landscaping is maturing and the community grounds are beautiful. For me, proximity to mass transit and the rich offerings of the city life of Washington, DC far outweigh acreage as the main criteria for a site. Tight site design, an array of unit sizes, smart use of tax incentives, locking in take- out mortgages as early as possible and a dozen other factors all contribute to making cohousing affordable.

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Principal, The Cohousing Collaborative
Cohousing Consultant
--Takoma Village
--Eastern Village
--Baltimore City
--Annapolis
--Concord Village

“The Road to Enlightenment is Long and Difficult...
So Bring Cookies and a Magazine.”

Wk  202 546 4654
FAX 202 291 8594

6827 4th St. NW #312