Re: Increase in housing values: A boon or disaster for cohousing?
From: ken (gebserspeakeasy.net)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 08:51:44 -0700 (PDT)
Sharon Villines wrote:

For example, the land that Takoma Village sits on was a former dry cleaning plant and then a used car lot. Murders literally took place in the neighborhood, two across the street from us in the first 3 years we lived here. We have basements because so much contaminated soil had to be trucked away. This land was a blight on the neighborhood of aging bungalows next to the train tracks. We still have the Metro, Amtrak, commuter, and freight trains coming by 24/7. We had to run a brothel out of the building behind us and get the liquor control board to require a jazz bar to hire extra security when they scheduled hip-hop bands so guns didn't start firing when they closed at 3:00 am. Under cover police officers met drug informants across the street. We know because one was killed after being picked up outside our only food market -- it specializes in candy and beer. We also worked with the store, run by a Jamaican American family, to carry some real food so now they also carry fruit, skim milk, water, and Ben & Jerry's ice cream as well. And rearranged the store to be more open and welcoming and less like a cage. None of this happens just because yuppies move in. It's work.

Bravo!  This is called 'making a difference.'

ken