Re: Rental units
From: Robert Heinich (robertenocommons.org)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:05:07 -0700 (PDT)
Tim, gsadix [at] earthlink.net, said "There may be three or more people who want to buy a second unit, in our yet to be constructed community, as a rental property".

While I understand the hesitancy of a community having non-resident owners, you could have a clause that we have in our Covenants/By-Laws of having a two-year rental term limit unless the community agrees to an extension. The owner is able to rent their unit yet there is escape clause for the community. Although we have renters, we have not had the need to exercise this clause. However, we had a prospective buyer state that the reason of not buying was due to this clause. (This did not create any movement to change the Covenants/By-Laws.)

Also you might want to check with Arcadia Cohousing (Carrboro, NC) as they seem to have this down to a science. One can rent a house there for short durations, http://www.rentors.org/calendar.aspx?propertyid=31074&cid=5.

-Robert Heinich
Eno Commons Cohousing
Durham, NC
where this Friday's pot luck is a dialogue about Eno Commons goals