Re: "Targeting" the wealthy
From: Brian Bartholomew (bbstat.ufl.edu)
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 00:30:40 -0700 (PDT)
What do you call the development if it has *no* restrictive covenants?
Build a dome kit or McMansion according to your individual tacky
taste, run a business out of half of it?  People with shared values
meet for dinner in a church, er, common house, and know your
neighbors, because cooperation and social networks make sense?  Do we
still have a word for that in America?

> When resale value is a big issue you can pretty well bet your
> neighbors are planning to be temporary.

Oohhhh, I'm going to use that one.

> Where does this tent thing come from?

I think part of the implication is that people can only afford one
house at a time, so before they can build a new one they have to sell
their old one.  That part I understand.  The part I don't understand
is the literal tent.  Why have a tent when you could have a travel
trailer, kit yurt, or old singlewide?

> And where does moving off the grid come from?

Off-grid is an exaggeration; substitute "rural" instead.  If you're
close to urban, the city/county attempts to not permit you to do any
creative construction that allows you to earn urban-level incomes
while having rural-level costs.

I am wondering if the zoning classification with the most freedom
might be "trailer park".  Accepts high density, but does it require
it?  Accepts lots of outbuildings.  Accepts poor build quality
dwellings, but does it require it?
                                                        Brian