Re: "Targeting" the wealthy
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 04:18:56 -0700 (PDT)
And where does moving off the grid come from?

I've lost the thread of which message this question came from but "off the grid" means literally off the grid. From the Wikipedia:

The term off the grid refers to a method of construction that relies on renewable energy sources rather than traditional public utility sources provided by the utility "grid." In such construction, the home or building constructed does not rely on municipal water supply, sewer, gas, electrical or similar utility services. A true "off the grid" house is able to operate completely independently of traditional public utility services.

Dancing Rabbit is an off the grid intentional community. People can construct their own homes or live in group houses. One person literally, as I am told by a resident, lives on $3,000 a year by living in a tent. He pays a fee for common facilities like composting toilets, use of a common kitchen, etc.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC